Sidewalks are an essential part of New York’s bustling urban landscape, providing pedestrians with safe paths to navigate the city. However, sidewalk accidents can happen more often than you might think, posing serious risks to passersby. At Joudeh & Kuller, we understand the impact that a sidewalk accident can have on your life. Our mission is to protect your rights and seek the justice you deserve if you’ve been injured due to negligence.
The Prevalence and Causes of Sidewalk Accidents
Sidewalk accidents are more common than many realize, and they can result from various factors. Uneven pavement, cracked concrete, potholes, debris, or icy surfaces are common culprits that can lead to slips, trips, and falls. Additionally, poor lighting and lack of maintenance contribute to the hazards of navigating city sidewalks.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for a Sidewalk Accident in New York?
In New York, property owners are held responsible for sidewalk accidents under the Adjoining Landowner Liability Bill. They are legally obligated to maintain the sidewalks in front of and adjoining their buildings, which includes tasks like debris removal, repairing cracked or broken sidewalks, addressing uneven pavements, ensuring proper drainage, and keeping the sidewalks clean.
Failure to fulfill these maintenance responsibilities may lead to consequences imposed by the NYC authority. Initially, property owners may receive a warning, but if they fail to take necessary actions, fines can be imposed. While some residential owners of one, two, or three-family units may be exempt from these obligations, all other property owners must diligently maintain their properties. Neglecting this duty could result not only in fines but also personal liability for injuries caused by sidewalk defects on their property.
If you suffered injuries from a fall on public property or a road owned by the government, you might have grounds to hold the local government liable. Government entities are equally responsible for maintaining sidewalks in a safe and well-maintained condition, just like private property owners. However, establishing the government’s liability can be complex, making it crucial to seek assistance from an experienced attorney to navigate the legal intricacies and pursue rightful compensation for your injuries.
Common Causes of Sidewalk Accidents in New York
Some of the primary causes of sidewalk accidents in New York include:
- Uneven or broken pavement
- Poorly maintained sidewalks
- Slippery or icy surfaces
- Debris and obstacles obstructing the path
- Inadequate lighting at night
- Negligence in snow and ice removal during winter
Serious Injuries Caused by Broken Sidewalk Accidents
A broken sidewalk accident can result in various serious injuries, including:
- Fractures and broken bones
- Head injuries and concussions
- Spinal cord injuries
- Sprains and strains
- Cuts and lacerations
- Bruises and contusions
What Should You Do Following a Sidewalk Accident in New York?
If you’ve been involved in a sidewalk accident, it’s essential to take the following steps:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health is a top priority. Obtain immediate medical care for your injuries. Don’t forget to collect all the receipts, bills, and records related to your medical treatment, as well as proof of any expenses for out-of-pocket medical equipment and supplies.
- Document the Scene: Take photos of the hazardous condition that caused the accident and gather contact information from witnesses.
- Report the Incident: Notify the property owner or relevant authorities about the accident.
- Preserve Evidence: Preserve any evidence related to the accident, such as surveillance videos, medical records, and proof of expenses.
- Consult an Experienced Sidewalk Accident Attorney: Time is of the essence. Reach out to our skilled attorneys to protect your rights and explore your legal options.
Why Consult a Personal Injury Lawyer in New York After a Sidewalk Accident
If you’ve been injured due to a broken sidewalk in New York, seeking the assistance of a skilled personal injury lawyer is crucial. Navigating the legal complexities of sidewalk accidents can be overwhelming, especially when dealing with property owners, insurance companies, and potential legal disputes. A knowledgeable attorney can help you understand your rights and guide you through the process of pursuing compensation for your injuries.
Having a sidewalk accident attorney in New York by your side can significantly increase your chances of obtaining a fair and full settlement for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other damages. They can investigate the circumstances surrounding the accident, gather crucial evidence, and assess liability to determine who may be held responsible for your injuries.
At Joudeh & Kuller, we understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that sidewalk accidents can inflict on individuals and their families. Our compassionate team is dedicated to providing the support and legal representation you need during this challenging time. Don’t delay; contact us today for a free consultation. Your well-being is our priority, and we are here to support you every step of the way.